- Location: Lusaka, Lusaka Province, Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Banking Jobs in Zambia
Leading the way in International Banking. We support the people and companies driving investment, trade and wealth creation across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. And our heritage and values are expressed in our brand promise – here for good. See our Brand and Values
We are currently looking for a Business Operational Risk Manager to represent the Global Banking business as a first line of defence, implement the Standard Chartered Operational Risk Framework (ORF), and support the Group’s Operational Risk policy and associated operational risk procedures to ensure that operational risk is effectively managed at the business unit level. The Business Operational Risk Manager must focus on Global Banking controls, governance, and supervision at all times.
Responsible for understanding the Group’s business strategy and its implications for the operational risk management role.
- Responsible for maintaining an awareness of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates.
- Continuously evaluate and identify operational risk implications of business strategies and programmes, and provide guidance on any operational risk remediation with support from SORO and respective risk owners.
- Responsible for supporting Global Banking COO initiatives, driving adoption of initiatives at the country level.
- Responsible for adherence to specified BAU operational risk deadlines.
- Responsible for being key escalation contact for the business for all front office operational risk related incidents and queries that arise, and being a business subject matter expert on Global Banking processes in this market.
- Ensure risk ownership by Country Process Owners over centrally / GBS performed validation checks is retained at the country level – specifically ownership of residual risk evaluations and associated remediation activities.
- Responsible for coordinating with stakeholders in the country and with other Global Banking operational risk managers to increase sharing of key learnings and best practices.
- Accountable for ensuring Risk Acceptance requests are completed by process owners for material risks and control failures identified. Accountable for the provision of these templates to second line operational risk team for review and approval prior to submission to relevant governance forums / committees.
- Responsible for the implementation of the Control Sample Testing (CST) process, sampling and testing the population of controls to ensure compliance with agreed control standards, including facilitating the monitoring / collection of any Key Control Indicators (KCIs).
- Responsible for ensuring quality of information recorded in the risk tracking system, as well as ensuring accuracy, completeness of data, driving the timely resolution of outstanding actions.
- Responsible for supporting the business in minimizing operational risks and losses, and ensuring material operational losses are investigated to prevent recurrence.
- Identify non-standard processes within the business, and ensure appropriate control mechanisms are implemented and monitored for effectiveness.
- Working with the Senior Operational Risk Officer (SORO), responsible for ensuring Root Cause Analysis (RCA) is completed by process owners for any failed audits and other key risk events. Review audit findings and key themes, assisting business to achieve resolution in line with business risk appetite.
Responsible for coordinating internal and external audit reviews relating to the area of business – liaising with stakeholders to ensure timely / accurate information is.
- Responsible for providing guidance to the business on working towards an advanced MCA, driving improvements in year-on-year average MCA ratings.
- With the guidance and support from Risk Owner and Process Owner, continuously identify and evaluate operational risks arising for new products and new business, regulatory and thematic risks, and drive the implementation of appropriate controls to mitigate these risks in country.
- Accountable for the development of control enhancements to ensure any known risks are controlled within acceptable boundaries and consistent standards.
- Responsible for mentoring Global Banking staff across all segments on business controls.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with policies applicable to Global Banking which impact operational risk. Challenge processes, procedures, and policy if there is opportunity for improvement
- Responsible for speaking out on emerging risks.
- Responsible for identifying knowledge gaps, facilitate development of training on Operational Risk for the business.
- Participate in periodic peer reviews, subject to business need, to ensure consistency of risk management approach and support the business in embedding best practices.
- Responsible for the effective running of Global Banking Business Operational Risk Forum (BORF).
- Responsible for ensuring adequate governance and oversight over operational risk, through the escalation and appropriate resolution of relevant risk exposures to the Country Operational Risk Committee (CORC) and Process Governance Committee (PGC) as required.
- Responsible for escalation of issues, blockages, challenges and trends to the Regional lead, COO and Business Head when required.
Regulatory & Business conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across the business. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines, the Group Code of Conduct, the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles, Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and facilitate resolving risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Zambia Global Banking Head in country
- Heads of Global Banking business units
- Senior Operational Risk Officer(s) (SORO)
- Regional BORM / COO
- Internal Audit
- Head of BORM
- Business & Country Compliance teams
- Operations (GBS / GTO)
- Embed the Bank’s Valued Behaviours
- Knowledge of Global Banking, Transaction Banking and Financial Markets products – to enable assessment of cross-business issues.
- Relevant business experience in operations, business analysis or project management.
- Clear understanding of the Bank’s Operational Risk Framework or equivalent experience gained in other organisations.
- Demonstrated history of applying sound judgement with critical thinking skills and courage necessary to perform a control role and maintain effective working relationships.
- Strong analytical skills, detail-focused with the ability to interpret large volume of information.
- Problem solving skills with ability to influence across all levels of business.
Ability to independently drive initiatives with minimum hands-on supervision.
How to Apply