Risk & Internal Controls Officer
FINCA is a catalyst for economic growth and financial inclusion for the poor. Individuals living in some of the world’s most challenging economies have long been unbanked. They live without access to critical financial tools that enable progress toward a better life. They not only need access to financial services, but they have the right to those services along with affordable products that save them time and money, make them healthier, more resilient and empowered.
• Help maintain FINCA Zambia’s ethics code. Conduct evaluations of the Organisation to assess risk and compliance with internal policies & regulations.
• Conduct routine inspections of all business units, including branches, and review processes/practices to ascertain level of compliance to policy & regulations.
• Conduct field visits to ascertain existence of the clients, businesses to which the loans have been disbursed, verify the quality of collateral pledged and review the loan field analysis conducted by the loan officer.
• Work with the Business to assess, monitor and report on risks identified during routine inspections. Ensure each Business unit maintains a risk register.
• Update and monitor business key risk indicators and ensure appropriate remedial actions/strategies are developed and implemented for any adverse trends.
• Assist in development and ongoing review of risk appetite, policy, procedures and limits to ensure exposure to potential risks is mitigated.
• Perform proper incident analysis, report on control gaps, recommend improvements in controls and track implementation of action plans to minimize recurrence and operational losses.
• Ensure that all open items during routine inspections and audit exceptions are timely closed with no repeat findings.
• Maintain and or develop a subject matter expertise in the area of digital innovation and subsequent emerging risks including mobile banking, internet banking, agency banking.
• Verify update and use of BCPs in management of the portfolio.
• Conduct objective, fair, thorough, unbiased and timely investigations into allegations of internal/external fraud, misconduct or abuse committed against FINCA Zambia
• Coordinate with legal to provide deposition strategies and use law enforcement resources for assistance where necessary in fraud management.
• Assist in preparation of regular scheduled business and risk reports and presentations for management, RMC, and BRMC.
• Provide support, education and training to staff to build risk awareness within the Organisation.
• Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
• To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• A good understanding of Operational Risk Management practices in a financial Institution.
• Practical knowledge of operations in a Financial/Banking sector
• Highly investigative and analytical skills.
• Good interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with the various stakeholders.
• High proficiency in the use of computer applications for capture and analysis of information.
• Knowledge and effective application of all relevant policies, processes, procedures and guidance to consistently achieve required standards or benchmarks.
• Real motivation to work and grow in a challenging environment.
• Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
Experience & Qualifications
• A degree or Diploma in Business Studies – Accounting, Banking, or Relevant Qualification
• Two (2) years relevant work experience with either Micro-finance institution or Commercial Bank.
• Experience in Risk Management with a financial institution.
• 15 – 20% of the portfolio of each Account Relationship Officers should be inspected at least once a year. A sample of clients that have been in arrears more than 30 days have been inspected.
• Monthly and Fortnightly update on closure of items from Routine Inspections and Fraud Monitoring.
• Weekly reporting of the progress (towards the planning) and of the findings of the investigations and inspections.
• Provide recommendations to management to improve compliance with policies and procedures.
• Participation in the Risk Bulletin publication.
• Ensure confidentiality and proper filing of information gathered as well as reports.
How to apply
Submit your CV and application to: