Junior Mining Engineer
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do. In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama.
The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents. With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world. This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
Key Responsibilities & Skills
• Ensure that development programme objectives and associated tasks are well understood and adhered to.
• Ensure that all phases of the development programme are completed within the specified timeframe.
• Ensure that all queries and concerns associated with the programme and completion thereof are escalated where necessary.
• Adhere to all Mine standards and procedures.
• Safely perform all assigned tasks.
• Assist team members in the completion of tasks.
• Regular compiling of progress reports and arranging him/herself for progress discussion sessions.
• Report all identified inconsistencies and obstacles.
• Report and communicate ideas and recommendations.
• Ensure effective team relationships and support.
• Build and maintain partnerships and relationships with all stakeholders within the business.
• Engage relevant stakeholders to gain the necessary business context.
• Support and promote a positive work environment.
Qualifications & Experience
• Must have a Grade 12 Certificate
• Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Mining Engineering
• Entry with a BSc or MSc in Mining Engineering
• Operational experience in a Surface Mining environment preferred
• Experience with all Microsoft office software is must
• Excellent communication skills in English
• The ideal candidate will require strong interpersonal skills in a fast moving, high risk environment.
• The role of a Junior Mining Engineer carries with it significant professionalism, responsibility and accountability.
• The career is extremely rewarding and has significant opportunity for those who are motivated and demonstrate good leadership qualities.
The preferred candidate will possess the following attributes:
• Team working skills and the ability to manage and motivate people;
• Project management skills
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Communication and presentation skills
• Time management and planning skills, as well as the ability to prioritize your workload
• Willingness spend time away from home
• An outgoing and self-reliant nature
• Knowledge of health and safety issues related to Mining
How to apply
Send your applications to the links below: