UNV Planning, Monitoring And Evaluation Officer
Closing date: Sunday, 19 August 2018
The UN system in Zambia supports development operations in the country through the activities of UN system agencies represented on the ground. In addition, as the country is moving towards becoming a lower middle income country the coordination between bilateral and multilateral development agencies is critical to ensure that Official Development Assistance (ODA) has the desired impact during the country’s transition.
The UN Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO) in Zambia is responsible for managing the overall coordination of the UN system’s support to national development objectives. These include support to UN reform efforts towards ‘Delivering as One’ (DaO), UN inter-agency coordination and performance management under the UN Partnership Framework and joint programmes, monitoring, policy analysis and advocacy on the Sustainable Development Goals, engagement on the national development agenda and promoting UN collaboration with relevant state and non-state partners.
The UNV Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer works under the direct supervision of the UN Coordination Specialist. The UNV collaborates closely with RCO team members, the UN inter-agency Monitoring & Evaluation Working Group and UN Partnership Framework Results Groups, as well as with Government and other key partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Coordination Specialist and the M&E Working Group Chairperson, the UNV Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will perform the following functions:
Contributes to providing oversight in planning and periodic monitoring of the UN Partnership Framework results framework and annual UN Partnership Framework work plans focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Development of annual UN Partnership Framework work plans, including M&E framework;
- Mid-year and end of year reviews of annual UN Partnership Framework work plans;
- Designing and undertaking Mid-Term Review and end of cycle evaluation of UN Partnership Framework results;
- Working with the M&E Working Group Chairperson, convening of UN M&E Working Group.
Provides support and to UN inter-agency teams on developing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting on joint programmes:
- Contributing to the design of common systems and procedures for M&E of UN Joint Programmes;
- Development of results frameworks of joint programme documents with technically sound and clearly defined SMART indicators;
- Analysis of the specific data requirements of individual indicators and quality and reliability of available data sources;
- Periodic reviews and evaluations of joint programmes.
Supports efforts by the Government of Zambia to strengthen partnerships, national coordination structures and monitoring and evaluation systems under the 7th national development plan as aligned to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and other international commitments:
- Participates in and contributes to coordination of quality UN inputs to Government on supporting the efforts of strengthening the national coordination mechanisms of the Cluster Advisory Groups and Technical Working Groups;
- Establishes and maintains regular dialogue with key national partners involved in statistical systems, including socioeconomic surveys and data collection;
- Provides guidance to national counterparts and UN agencies on monitoring and evaluation of national and sector policies and strategies.
Contributes to inter-agency knowledge management and capacity development on results-based management:
- Supports training and other capacity development initiatives to strengthen UN capacity in results-based management, monitoring and evaluation;
- Facilitates strategic information sharing across UN agencies and sectors on development data/statistics;
- Ensures development and updating of database with pertinent socioeconomic data and reports, evaluations, etc in UN Partnership Framework and Joint Programme areas.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark IVD).
- Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country.
- Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities.
- Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.
- Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers.
- Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
- A significant improvement of accountability, transparency and results-oriented focus of UN Reform through the design and management of an adequate system to measure development results. This will be achieved through strategic and operational guidance on results-based management and joint programming and the development of a technically sound M&E framework supported by reliable statistical and non-statistical data, and strong inter-agency coordination.
- A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in and capacities developed.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
Knowledge and Learning Management
- Shares knowledge and experience from within and outside the UN Country Team;
- Encourages UN staff to share knowledge;
- Develops deep understanding in UN Partnership Framework, UN System reform and SDGs;
- Coordination Effectiveness;
- Ability to lead the implementation of UN programme activities, strengthening of strategic partnerships for UN Partnership Framework implementation;
- Ability to build and sustain effective partnerships with UN Agencies and main constituents, advocate effectively, communicate sensitively across different constituencies.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Establishes priorities for self and other members of the RC office; schedules activities to ensure optimum use of time and resources; monitors performance against development and other objectives and corrects deviations from the course;
- In providing advice to the RC, has the capacity to gather comprehensive information on complex problems or situations; evaluates information accurately and identifies key issues required to resolve problems;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Statistics, Demography, Development Studies, or related Social Sciences.
- At least two years of professional experience in monitoring and evaluation in the development field;
- Experience in results-based programme management and complex level M&E frameworks;
- Knowledge of UNDG/UNEG standards for results-based management and evaluation;
- Knowledge of and experience in supporting capacity development of national statistical systems, including management information systems and surveys;
- Understanding of UN reform process and the functioning of the UN system.