MARYBEGG COMMUNITY CLINIC
POSITION: Pharmacist – (1)
LOCATION: Trident Town Clinic – Kalumbila
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The pharmacists will work closely with medical and nursing staff to ensure that patients receive the best medication, advising on the selection, dose and administration route. They are experts in the field of pharmacology and are responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of the hospital/clinic pharmacy.
He/she will carry out their duties consistently, ethically and in line with international standards and evidence based pharmaceutical practices.
- Manage and run the day-to-day pharmacy operations, supervise staff and perform administrative duties to a standard of professional excellence.
- Order and purchase pharmaceutical supplies, medical supplies, and drugs, organize stock and store and handle all stock competently.
- Collaborate with other health care professionals to plan, monitor, review, and evaluate the quality and effectiveness of drugs and drug regimens, providing advice on drug applications, interactions, drug peak, and best practice treatment guidelines.
- Protect and maintain patient confidentiality at all times in keeping with the MBCC Patient Confidentiality Policy.
- Ensure an inventory of drugs stocked in the storeroom is accurate and applicable using Mary Begg EDL and ECL. Where discrepancies are found, timely reports are to be prepared, together with recommendations to handle the issue.
- Attend regular clinic and medical service department meetings to report on and discuss issues relating to improvements to the pharmacy services.
- Be available for duty as rostered for normal shifts, routine medical shifts, on-call shifts (defined as a standby period out of normal clinic hours), weekends and in case of emergencies.
- Ensure that MBCC policies and procedures, and local regulations relating to pharmacovigilance, prescribing, dispensing, recall, expiration and disposal of medications, and clinical consumables are adhered to at all times.
- Assess the identity, strength and purity of medications.
- Provide information and advice regarding drug interactions, side effects, dosage and proper medication storage.
- Engage in therapeutic drug monitoring, dose calculation and adjustment to fit patient needs.
- Ensure that patient prescriptions are accurate, legible and content appropriate. If Illegible, always clarify orders with the prescribing doctor.
- Every patient must be asked if they have any known allergies, before medications are dispensed.
- Manage ARVs logistics and information systems, dispense ARVs and offer adherence counselling to patients on HAART.
- Provide patient education on the proper use of devices such as epinephrine injection pens, asthma ventilators, diabetes blood sugar monitor etc.
- Advise customers on the selection of brands, medical equipment and health-care supplies.
- Ensure that all expiry dates for medications and disposables are checked monthly and that drugs are used on a first in first out (FIFO) principle.
- Plan, implement, and maintain procedures for mixing, packaging, and labelling pharmaceuticals, according to policy and legal requirements, to ensure quality, security, and proper disposal.
- Compound and dispense medications as prescribed by doctors and dentists, by calculating, weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients, or oversee these activities being performed.
- Ensure that all expired or close to expiry drugs and disposables are disposed of according to standard operating procedure.
- Maintain storage and cold chain of all refrigerated medications. Complete the cold chain fridge temperature checklist twice daily.
- Order and manage of Controlled drugs/Opioids/Narcotics according to the Dangerous Drugs Act.
- Maintain a register of all dangerous drugs and conduct a two person level count every day.
- Provide specialised services to help patients manage chronic conditions such as diabetes, asthma, smoking cessation, or high blood pressure.
- Pharmacy storage areas are maintained at an appropriate temperature and are always clean and properly organised.
- Ensure that universal infection control precautions are maintained throughout the pharmacy and stock room.
- Assay radiopharmaceuticals, verify rates of disintegration, and calculate the volume required to produce the desired results and ensure proper dosages.
- Publish educational information for other pharmacists, doctors, nurses and/or patients.
- Assist with appropriate pharmaceutical treatments/ medications for patients requiring emergency medical evacuation services.
- Will be a member of the disaster management group supporting the clinic in the event of a mass casualty incident.
- Ensure compliance for other duties and responsibilities as may be required from the Chief Medical Officer and/or hospital/clinic manager from time to time within your scope of practice.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills required
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in pharmacy or country equivalent.
- Must be registered and licenced with the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ
- Must have at least Two years experience working as Pharmacist in a busy clinic or hospital.
- Must have good administrative skills with strong management sense.
- Ability to work independently, pay careful attention to detail and manage multiple tasks in a fastpaced environment.
- Strong Communication. Interpersonal & Influencing Skill
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, Go to: www.marybeggclinic.bamboohr.com/jobs and attached your detailed Curriculum Vitae.
Closing date: 18th January 2019.