Job Title: Accountant
The British Council is looking for an experienced Accountant to join us in Lusaka, Zambia. This role is responsible for the end to end accounting process in Zambia and Zimbabwe, including month and year end close, and ensures consistent, accurate and robust financial accounting processes in line with accounting practices and corporate policies.
This is a supporting role in the Financial Controlling and Accounting process which is a key function in the new organisational structure emerging from the Financial Transparency recommendations.
Key accountabilities for the role include:
- Complete all financial tasks required for the financial month-end pre-closing steps and provide support as required for the financial month-end closing steps.
- Maintain financial records as per corporate policy and internal audit
- Provide support as required on accounting transactions and adjustments (accruals, deferrals and provisions), including Intercompany accounting.
- Provide support as required with manual journals and off-system payments requests ensuring accuracy and compliance with relevant policies.
- Assist with reconciliation of all relevant accounts and ensure that this is completed to corporate standards.
- Assist Senior Accountant with preparation of local Tax submissions and other statutory returns.
- Complete Travel & Expenses audits as per policy addressing issues in a promptly manner.
- Assist Senior Accountant with provision of information to internal / external auditors.
(For full details please see the information included on the British Council jobs portal)
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this role, please ensure you review full details on the British Council jobs portal and submit all stated requirements by 21 September 2018 (2359hrs UK time) as follows:
- British Council application form – complete online using the British Council jobs porta
Short-listing will be carried out against the essential knowledge, skills, qualifications and experience specified in the Role Profile. Do ensure these essential requirements are addressed within your application and supporting statement.
Applications for this vacancy are to be made online ; applications submitted through other channels will not be accepted.
Our Equality Commitment:
Valuing diversity is essential to the British Council’s work. We aim to abide by and promote equality legislation by following both the letter and the spirit of it to avoid unjustified discrimination, recognizing discrimination as a barrier to equality of opportunity, inclusion and human rights. All staff worldwide are required to ensure their behaviour is consistent with our policies, and human resource as a function is absolutely committed to this.
In line with the British Council’s Child Protection policy, any appointment is contingent on thorough checks. In the UK, and in other countries where appropriate systems exist, these include criminal record checks.