Coordination And Communication Expert
Background Catholic Relief Services CRS is currently seeking applications from qualified Coordination and Communication Expert candidates for a USAID-funded Scaling Up Nutrition Technical Assistance (SUN TA) contract in Zambia. The maximum amount and duration of the award is $75 million dollars for seven-years (four years, with two optional eighteen month, at the discretion of the donor). This activity is expected to provide multi-sectoral, layered, high-impact technical assistance coupled with targeted, cost effective, evidence-based direct implementation to reduce stunting in targeted districts. The SUN TA activity will be responsible for need-based technical capacity strengthening for National Food and Nutrition Commission (NFNC) and line ministries, at national, provincial and primarily at the district level. This will include capacity building in the development of annual work planning and costing of nutrition priority activities and interventions, mentoring regarding implementation of the activities by the line ministries, progress reporting, advocacy and governance strengthening, learning, and monitoring and evaluation. It will also include direct implementation to address time-sensitive gaps in programming. This activity will work initially in a minimum of 30 districts in Zambia, with the potential to increase the geographic scope in future years.
- The Coordination and Communication Expert will report to Chief of Party and position will be based in Lusaka.
- He/she will liaise with the SUN stakeholders to identify synergies around monitoring of provincial and district level activities and develop protocols for communication and coordination to facilitate engagement with SUN districts.
- He/she will collaborate with NFNC and other SUN stakeholders in the development of a protocol regarding administrative communications and approvals needed from national, province and district levels.
- This coordination mechanism will improve efficiency and help SUN stakeholders to rapidly identify and address problems as they arise.
- Additional responsibilities will include support for knowledge management and sharing with SUN stakeholders and NFNC.
- Liaise with NFNC and SUN stakeholders to support the development of coordination and communications protocols;
- Liaise with NFNC and other SUN stakeholders to share monitoring priorities and leverage mutual points of interest related to district priorities;
- Ensure SUN TA participation in steering groups at national level related to coordination efforts of SUN activities by SUN stakeholders;
- Advocate and share lessons learnt and research with government partners;
- Ensure communications and media opportunities are identified and responded to in order to build the profile of SUN TA as a credible source of information for the SUN stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain systematic updates on SUN TA including digital, social and other communication platforms/media on a regular basis;
- Support the launch and distribution of communication materials to targeted audiences;
- Report regularly on the progress of project work and the issues arising from that work and contribute to donor annual reports;
- Prepare talking points and speeches for the Chief of Party and other high-level cooperating partners;
- Ensure capacity building of partners and staff and effectively disseminate learning products and manage the Resource Centre of the SUN TA;
- Manage and maintain an indexed catalogue of soft and hard copy SUN TA reports and documents in retrievable formatting. Update and maintain the resource center with information on programs activities;
- Develop a compliant Branding Implementation Plan (BIP) and Marketing Plan in consultation with USAID/Zambia Mission Contracting Officer, Contracting Officer’s Representative and Development Outreach and Communications Team;
- Communicate/Publicize key milestones to generate awareness that the project. These milestones may be but are not limited to: announcing findings from the situational analysis, communicating activity impact/overall results, highlighting success stories, promoting final or interim reports, etc.;
- Liaise and support the SUN TA team on and effectively contribute towards building and strengthening strategic partnerships and relationships with strategic partners and other key stakeholders; and
- Lead in planning and organizing corporate events such as media briefs, seminars and conferences among others, represent the organization in various platforms.
- Degree in Business Management, Communications, Public Relations, Media Relations, or other related fields
- Minimum Eight (8) years of experience in communications or public relations in Zambia
- Experience working with bilateral, UN agencies, US government or Government of Zambia
- Understanding of requirements under USAID Branding and Marking in USAID Direct Contracts
- Understanding of the institutional and legal framework in Zambia as it relates to PR, media and communications issues
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio) and multi-media tools and skills
- Knowledge of local languages an added advantage
- Communication (oral and written) skills
- Creativity skills
- Organization and project management skills
- Time management skills and ability to work under pressure
- Diplomatic skills with sensitivity to socio-political and cultural issues
- Aability to work effectively in a cross functions and in a diverse team environment
Travel Required: 30%
Key Working Relationships
Internal: Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party
External: NFNC and SUN Stakeholders, including key line ministries
Agency-wide Competencies: These are rooted in the mission, values, and principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and to achieve the desired results.
- Trusting Relationships
- Professional Growth
Disclaimer: This job description is dependent on future funding. The job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and current CV (inclusive three contactable referees) in MS Word format to: