Organization: Build It International
Closing date: 17 Oct 2017
Build It International is a UK and Zambia registered NGO, operating in Zambia since 2006. We have developed a sustainable, livelihoods based approach to community infrastructure provision and are now expanding our building skills training work.
Our values are:
Our core activity is to train young men and women in construction skills through our programme of community building construction projects. We typically construct 3-4 community projects each year that:
a. Train 20 men and women over a life of the construction work (6-8 months) to the local TEVETA trades test level in bricklaying.
b. Promote sustainable building materials and design. We have developed our own designs to create simple, comfortable spaces for learning and maximise the use of local building materials.
c. Engage Communities where appropriate through local participation at all stages.
Our projects are managed by a small team of Site Agents who have been trained in project management skills consistent with our project management systems. Our aim is to complete works on time, to budget and to a high build standard.
By the end of 2017 we had completed almost 40 projects, trained over 500 men and women in construction skills (with a 97% pass rate) and trained 10+ Site Agents.
Overall Aim of Construction Training Manager
To oversee our construction programme, emphasising training and support for our site agents, to ensure the project is completed on time, to budget and to the required standard using our processes and procedures.
The job is based in Lusaka with travel to project sites within a half days drive of the city.
Training and Support for Site Agents
· Oversee internal professional development programme
· Deliver short training sessions and learning events
· Provide one- to-one support to Site Agents in actively managing their projects using Build It’s established management systems and tools including: budgets, site set-up, project delivery schedule, contractor management, Health and Safety, risk management.
Planning and Systems
· Lead the team in producing and implementing project resource plans / budgets and delivery programmes
· Select and appraise contractors and suppliers
· Assess project sites for suitability
· Ensure close co-ordination between Site Agents and our skills training programme
· Review and improve our systems and procedures
Management Responsibilities include:
· All site agents
· Procurement and logistics officer
· Compliance with building regulations / contractual obligations
· Co-ordinate with external professional service providers including architects, advisors, inspectors and contractors
· Programme delivery internal reporting and forecasting
· Health and Safety across the programme
· Risk monitoring
· Co-ordinate the continuing development of Build It guidelines on sustainable building design and materials
· Ensure construction is in line with Build It’s standard details book and as per recommendations of our Technical Advisory Group
· Ensure quality of construction is of high standard and quality control measures are in place and being used
● Reports to Country Director
● Line management of site agents and procurement/logistics officer
● Local professional service providers and clients/partners
● Build It advisors
The right person will be able to demonstrate:
· A strong affinity with our mission, values and approach
· Construction Operations experience – overseeing multiple building projects
· Direct experience of all key aspects of active project management: budgeting, programming, contracts, site set-up and supervision, procurement, contract management
· A relevant professional qualification and technically competent (building construction knowledge, reading drawings/plans, building materials)
· At least 10 years professional experience
· Problem solver – able to anticipate potential problems / challenges, identify possible solutions and work with your team to make decisions.
· An interest and experience of supporting and developing less experienced colleagues
· Team leadership
· IT literate – MS Office and MS Project
· Experience of working in sub-Saharan Africa an advantage
This is a voluntary position with paid expenses including flights, insurance, accommodation and a monthly living allowance.
The contract will be for one year (negotiable)
How to apply:
· 400 word max cover email
· MAX Two page summary CV (resume)
· MAX Two page personal statement
· Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 October 2017
We will acknowledge safe receipt of your application.
Powered by Jobs Botswana