Operation Eyesight Universal is an international development organization dedicated to eliminating avoidable blindness. Since our work began in 1963, we have brought sight-saving treatment to more than 35 million people. Today our work is focused on Zambia, Ghana, Kenya, Nepal and India – places where blindness can be deadly, especially to those who are very young, old or poor.
We work in partnership with medical professionals and community development teams, building essential resources that give all people, including the poorest, access to the eye care services they need. Our focus on high-quality, comprehensive eye care ensures sustainable service for entire communities, with long-lasting results.
In Zambia, we work in close cooperation with the Government, premier eye hospitals and other agencies with particular focus on:
- Elimination of Trachoma through effective implementation of SAFE strategy
- Human resources development in the eye health sector
- Infrastructure development – promote and strengthen secondary and tertiary eye care facilities
- People’s empowerment in elimination of avoidable blindness
We are currently looking for suitable candidates to work closely with the Head of Programmes – OE Zambia and assist him in implementation of community eye health projects in Southern and Central Provinces of the country. These positions carry a reasonable salary to match with current market rates. Please refer below the job description
Job description of Project Coordinators
Zambian nationals only
Zambian nationals only
Number of Posts:
Two (open for Zambian nationals only)
Head of Programmes – Zambia
Field locations in Southern and central Province of Zambia
To work closely with Head of Programmes and ensure effective implementation of OE’s community eye health projects in Zambia leading to elimination of avoidable blindness from its intervention areas.
- Formulation of community based micro action plans for the approved projects.
- Ensuring timely achievement of project objectives and targets.
- Regular monitoring of and reporting on progress made by the assigned projects.
- Formulate monthly, quarterly and annual action plans for the approved projects with timelines.
- Implement the approved action plans and monitor their progress.
- In case of deviations from approved plans and budgets, take corrective measures in consultation with the Head – Programmes.
- Extend required support and undertake monitoring visits to ophthalmology departments in the district hospitals and primary health centers etc.
- Work closely with all concerned government departments and other relevant agencies to deliver project results.
- Build the capacities of the community health workers and oversee their work pertaining to assigned project.
- Form and strengthen community based organisations and support them to deliver results related to improving community eye health as per the approved projects.
- Coordinate with the partner hospitals and ensure all referred patients from the project areas are provided with required eye care services.
- Establish referral linkages with the hospitals providing sub-specialty treatment for the patients requiring those services.
- Document the project activities/ case studies and report on the progress in implementation of the assigned projects periodically.
The role of the Project Coordinator requires an energetic and a result orientated individual, with a record of demonstrated experience within the NGO sector.
- Minimum undergraduate degree in Public Health or Social Work or any other relevant subject. However, long years of experience of working in health sector and demonstrated expertise in project management may qualify candidates for the position despite of not having the undergraduate degree.
- Three to five years of work experience in health or community development sector with main responsibility covering all areas of project management
- Experience of working in eye health sector in Zambia is desirable
- Expertise and experience in developing project budgets, budget monitoring and budget re-phasing
- Proven skills in documentation, data management and project report writing
- Good IT skills including MS Office
- A strong empathy with the cause of elimination of avoidable blindness
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent man-management skills and interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and a self-starter
- Willingness to spend substantial time with community based health workers and target communities in remote locations
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their detailed curriculum vitae with a cover letter through email on and before 13th August 2017 to:
Country Manager – Zambia
Operation Eyesight Universal
Powered by Jobs Botswana